Monday, August 30, 2010

Beef With Barbie

 I am in complete shock, and honestly... a little bit of a panic about what type of society we are breeding!  On October 21st my sister is expecting a baby boy and I will be going to Toronto to help take care of her and the family, and to occupy her two year old daughter, Nalini.  

I thought it would be nice to get Nalini something small so that she doesn't feel like it's all about baby, and try to offset any jealousy that may arise from the birth of her baby brother.  Always being a doll lover myself as a child, I thought Barbie was a good way to go.  So off I went to Walmart so excited to buy my niece her first Barbie.  I was so excited about all the possibility.  After all, it's 2010... Barbie can be anything she wants to be...  Until I saw shelf after shelf of "Barbie Bride", and "Barbie Mommy" and "Barbie Tea Party".  (I'm not gonna lie, I did stop for a minute at the Barbie Tea Party set...)  But then I went to ask a store clerk for a "professional" barbie...  And I just about lost my mind when she looked confused and then took me over to "Dog Walker Barbie".  The kicker is the dogs weren't even on a leash, they were in her purse!!  ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME???  Where is Doctor Barbie??  Or Lawyer Barbie??  Or Business Tycoon Barbie with the pin-stripe suit and matching briefcase??  

In a slightly calm, but definitely bothered tone I asked the clerk if they had a Doctor Barbie, and she said she did... And took me over to this atrocious thing pictured below, the only difference was that the set also comes with matching pink heels...
  

Now I've never given birth but I'm just gonna guess that if the first time I am handed my child it's by some chick wearing jeans, a pink jacket, and pink heels I'm really gonna have to question the credibility of this doctor.  What is wrong with our society??  And why does "Doctor Barbie" have to be holding babies??  There are other types of doctors!!  A simple stethoscope and medical bag would have been fine I think.   

Don't get me wrong... when I was a little girl, I LOVED everything pink, I loved fairies and princesses, I had all the Barbie Dream Houses and multiple versions of Ken.  They had about 100 weddings in my childhood room, and I don't know how many tea parties.  I fantasized about my wedding day, and couldn't wait for the day that I would be a mommy.  I honestly think there is nothing wrong with that.  But thank god I also had parents who told me I could do all that and be all those things while also having a brain and a mind of my own and get satisfaction from making something of myself also.  

It just really panics me and makes me wonder what types of girls we are raising??  Maybe I'm worrying for nothing.  After all, almost all of my Barbies had pink tu-tu's and matching pink heels, and I was still aware that I could do anything but I have to say I am still disappointed about where we are as a society.  

Who knows, maybe the little girls of today are smarter than we realize and don't need the "professional" dolls to teach them they can do it all....  Hopefully.  

1 comment:

  1. Yesterday I had a client in that called her 13 yr old daughter "fat" "stupid" "idiot" and "crybaby" all in the course of an hour long pedicure....
    I think that is the type of woman who would buy her child "Dog Walker Barbie"

    ReplyDelete