Thursday, July 22, 2010

Caffeinated Cool

This summer seems to be bringing a crazy heat wave every where from Jersey, Toronto, to Halifax and every place in between!  Jon and I have really been trying to eat healthier especially focusing on eating local organic and cutting out... cutting down refined sugars.  (Well, trying anyways...)  Neither of us have much of a sweet tooth at all, but it really is crazy the places you'll find refined sugar!  On top of which, with all this heat we've been finding ourselves on mid-night ice cream runs much more than we  our waist lines would like!

Thankfully my sister turned me on to this amazing foodie blog that I am loving!  This post about making home made Frappuccinos from coffee ice cubes got me thinking...  Jon and I love coffee, and I have always had a strong nostalgia for homemade freezer icey molds being that I was practically raised on these in the summers, growing up in Jersey as a child.

 Seriously... even just the empty cups make me think of the care free summers as a kid.  Love it....  


So I made up about 4 cups of coffee, mixed in about 1 cup of milk, a bit of natural brown sugar, roughly 4 tbsp into the whole batch.  Blended with a milk frother.  (I think it would have been the same consistency if I mixed it with a spoon...)  

Poured into the cups, and let set a few hours in the freezer...  The plan was to let set overnight, but we couldn't resist!  They were delicious!  A perfect summer treat, not to mention our waist lines love it as much as we do, and it's super cheap and easy!    


Enjoy!  Stay cool!

Additional Note:  After posting this a friend of mine read it and told me she does something similar but before pouring the coffee into the cups, pours a bit of Hershey's syrup into the tip of each cup so it's a Mocha pop.  Must try this for our next batch! 




No comments:

Post a Comment